while browsing my photo library the other day, I discovered a funny thing: I take lots of pictures of my feet. very silly, yes, but it’s interesting to see all the places I have my feet have taken me that I have photographed. I rounded all the “feet portraits” (that almost sounds obscene) into one folder—there are nearly 30 of them. when seen together they make a funny little collection of stories.
here are a few:
new orleans, LA: a day exploring, hence the need for sneakers in the summertime
fountainebleau state park, LA: toes to lake pontchartrain, a day of hiking and animal-sightings
destin, FL: vacation and new shoes
muir beach, ca: drinking coffee after a morning walk
chalmette battlefield/mississippi river, LA: getting too close to the river and sinking in the mud
prospect park, brooklyn, NY: walking on the icy patches and through knee-deep snow
muir beach, ca: tidepooling barefoot in december
14th street subway stop, NY, NY: waiting for the train home after class, favorite oxford shoes
I am a bit of an old lady at heart, it’s true.
I present as evidence:
1. I make candy at home
2. I knit and embroider
3. I like to stay home
4. I think “The Golden Girls” is quality television, own
a few seasons all seven seasons on DVD, quote it fluently, laugh out loud at it, and watch said DVDs at least one a week
5. I am currently waiting patiently for my homemade vanilla extract to be ready (december 17th!)
6. I own a one-piece bathing suit
7. the following items can usually be found in my handbag: cough drops, a handkerchief, tums, tea bags
8. I have been known to slip an ice cube or two into a glass of white wine or rosé
9. I enjoy going to the opera
10. I generally prefer knee-length or longer skirts
there you have it. scary, huh?
apparently the dumb little slippers I’ve spent the last 6 years in the deep south sheathing my feet in do not cut it in places where seasons exist, cold happens, and one walks pretty much everywhere…
cue the mad hunt for appropriate footwear, and enter the current favorites:
I especially love the brown oxfords, one of the the first “good” pairs of shoes I have ever owned.
see ya later, crappy $20 flats from target!